Monday, August 1, 2016

What to talk about? Part 1


There have been times in my life where I can remember some really awkward dates. I recall one in particular. It was sort a blind date in the sense that I kind of knew of him, but didn’t know anything about him or what he looked like. He showed up at my door to pick me up we greeted each other and we headed out. (Now looking back, that was not very safe! I should have met him at the restaurant I mean think about it, I did not know him and now he knew where I lived and I was riding with him, not one of my brighter moments. :) Although to my benefit he was a friend of a friend and they vouched for him!) On the way to the restaurant we had chit chat type conversation and then he said, “We are going to have BJ’s. My dad thought I shouldn’t bring you here cause it sends the wrong message.” Uh, who says that? I didn’t even think of that? Do people think like that?
We get to the restaurant and sit down for dinner and we try to have conversation, but it was fairly clear, at least to me, that we sort of were very different, don’t have much in common, different likes, dislikes, goals, dreams. Therefore we ran out of things to talk about fairly early on in the night. I wish I could have thought of something to ask him or to say, but I had nothing. We sat there most of the night quietly eating…
After dinner we got back in the car for a fairly quiet trip home. About 5 minutes away from my house he started planning coming in, hanging out, and telling me how much fun he had… I couldn’t reciprocate any of this because I didn’t know him any better than when we started because we couldn’t get past the basic questions without running out of things to talk about! I had to very gently let him down. 
From that moment on I have always feared that same thing happening, the awkward what do we talk about moments. Luckily, I met my husband soon after this date and we were able to chat about anything  all the time while we were dating. It occurred to me fairly quickly through great conversation he was exactly what I needed so I snatched him up! Years have gone on and we have had kids and gotten busy an sometimes that same fear still exists, what if we don't have anything to talk about?
When couples have kids it is easy for them to get caught up in conversationa about their kids and there happens or each others jobs, or daily events but what happens when you retire or the kids leave the house and go off to college? What will you talk about? Will you really know your spouse or will you be looking across the room at a stranger because it has been to long since y’all invested in knowing about each other rather than the happenings around you? Date night is a great way to get to know each other! And since we are always changing the answers to questions we ask are always changing too! Get to know each other more with these date night questions! Now, just one final thought. Don’t make date night about drilling each other with questions. Pick one or 2 each date to talk about and let the rest of the night flow!
Thanks to Sam Dobson at http://www.samdobsonwrites.com/2012/09/reinventing-date-night/ she provides our first list of great date night questions!
We will be back soon with more great date night questions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment